Having an eloquent conversation with an expert painter and decorator can reveal lots of secrets hidden in the science and art of painting. You will be able to learn the selection of paints, preprocessors and finishing products. You will get enlightened about surface preparation techniques for interiors and exteriors, calculations and estimations, planning and completing the painting and finishing tasks to perfection. With some trials and errors you will be able to implement the painting and decorating techniques on DIY basis. Once you know the tips and tricks by experience you might be able to teach your family members and friends also.
Paint and Add-on Selection by an Expert Painter and Decorator
The quality of sheens and glossy finishing decide the type of paint to be used for a particular surface. You can choose flat finish, satin type of finish, partial or complete glossy finish. The areas of application like normal walls, irregular surfaces, kitchen and bathrooms, windows and doors and ceilings over fire places need a fine selection of these types of finishes. An expert painter and decorator will be able to tell you in detail about the parameters involved in the type of finishes.
- The selection from latex, oil/water based paint, epoxy, enamel, aluminum and novelty types of paints depends on the types of surfaces and probability of exposure to wear and stress. For example water based latex paints are recommended for internal surfaces while enamel based paints are said to be good for external applications. Epoxy paints are considered to be safe and effective for wooden surfaces while rustproof paints are meant for metallic surfaces. An expert painter and decorator will tell you about the recommended quantities of these paints for your home by inspecting your home and analyzing the surfaces.
- Selection of primers is an important process to improve the finishes by stain removal, ensuring adhesion, eliminate odor, save on paint and many other decorative reasons. Water based primers are recommended for chalky and glossy surfaces while oil based primers are said to be good for concrete and other hard and uneven surfaces.
- You need stain removers and sealers for wooden surface finishes. Varnishes can be used for giving glossy finishes to the wooden surfaces.
Tool and Utility Selection by Expert Painter and Decorator
- Surface finishing tools like scrapers, knife; heat guns mesh cloth, stain remover, surface softeners, sandpaper and other surface preparation tools need to be in place.
- Oil based paints need natural bristled brushes while water based paints need synthetic bristles. You need to use different types of brushes for staining, trimming, chipping and painting. Talk to the expert painter and decorator to give you tips on this.
- Use rollers for quick painting on walls. The width of the roller determines the area coverage per coating. Use larger width rollers for walls. Mini rollers can be used for windows, ventilators, doors and angled surfaces. When you are applying stains you need to attach a cover to the roller to avoid spoiling them. You need to use extenders with rollers for painting the ceiling and other non reachable surfaces. Use paint sprays for narrow areas.